ARTNEWSPRESS: Songs from Frank Sinatra, Cream and Joy Division feature in the Batman prequel
There are some pretty on-the-nose musical cues in Todd Phillips’ Joker, a Batman prequel starring Joaquin Phoenix as the caped crusader’s greatest nemesis.
The film is set in Gotham City in the 1970s, and explores how the unstable Arthur Fleck (Phoenix) goes from part-time clown to full-time supervillain.
Songs like Frank Sinatra’s ‘Send In The Clowns’ and Tony Bennet’s ‘Put On A Happy Face’ – exactly the kind that you would expect to appear in a self-serious take on the origin of the character – are employed at various stages throughout the film. As are tone-setting tracks from Joy Division and The Doors.
Subscribe to our playlist featuring all of the songs in the film below, and check out a full list of the tracks.
Full Joker Tracklist
- Frank Sinatra – Send IN The CLowns
- Jimmy Durante – Smile
- The Guess Who – Laughing
- Frank Sinatra – That’s Life
- Cream – White Room
- The Doors – People Are Strange
- Tony Bennett – Put On A Happy Face
- Fred Astaire – Slap That Bass
- Nat King Cole – Smile
- Donovan – Hurdy Gurdy Man
- Patsy Cline & The Jordanairs – The Wayward Wind
- Pink Floyd – Brain Damage
- Joy Division – Atmosphere
- Liars – Left Speaker Blown
- Anja Garbarek – I Won’t Hurt You
- Bee Gees – I Started A Joke
- The Glitter Group – Rock And Roll Part 2